Kenyans247 Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Kenyans247 LOGIN!

Stats: 109,575 Members, 10,112 topics and 65 posts Date: Friday 21 February 2020 at 03:16 AM
TrendingRecentNewestClassifiedDirectoryLivescoresLive Kenyan TVLive Kenyan Radio

How to Import and Export of Animals or Animal products in Kenya

Kenyans247 / Kenyans247 / General / Huduma Centre / How to Import and Export of Animals or Animal products in Kenya (22 Views)

How to Create Calendar Events from Mail on iPhone and iPadHow to Reset Chrome Settings to Default
(Go Down) (» Reply topic)
How to Import and Export of Animals or Animal products in Kenya by Kenyans247(m): Wed Jan 2020 08:06am
The procedure to be followed to import/Export Animals/Animal products in kenya is as follows.
Apply for International health certificates for the export of animals from Kenya which are completed by the accredited veterinarian who certifies herd and animal health status, conducts tests, and records test results for the individual animals being exported.

Before you send animals or animal products outside the Kenya,the certificate to export animal products must be endorsed by a Veterinary Services area office in order to be valid, you should also talk to the importer whos receiving your goods to find out

(a)whether you need an import permit
(b)if your consignment must meet any other requirements in the destination country.
You can also get advice from other exporters of animal products in the country.Find out if other countries may also have their own certificate format for export.

Your Area Veterinarian-in-Charge can provide you with the current regulations, tests, and inspections required.

Before importing and Exporting animal products , you must get an Export Health Certificate (EHC) to send consignments of live animals or animal products to other countries.

Each country may have other specific health requirements for entry of animals.

You can get an EHC from the Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate and The Kenyan Bureau of Standards (KEBS),

The key elements to be undertaken KEBS are
(a)Physical inspection prior to shipment,
(b)Sampling, testing and analysis in accredited laboratories,
(c)Audit of product processes,
(d)Documentary check of conformity with regulations; and
(e)Assessment of conformity to standards

The KEBS Programme is based on Article 5 of Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT/WTO), which requires that technical requirements (i.e. Standards) applied to foreign products must also be applied to domestically manufactured products.Since KEBS is a conformity assessment process to verify that products imported to Kenya are in compliance with the applicable Kenya standards or approved equivalents, regulations and technical requirements before shipment, it is the sole responsibility of the supplier (i.e. exporter) to demonstrate the same and hence meet any associated costs of verification.

Since export requirements frequently change in Kenya, obtain the current export requirements from the Veterinary Service office in your area before each shipment. Do not rely solely on information provided by brokers and exporters. Export certificates are official documents and they should be typewritten, accurate, and complete.

How to obtain a certificate of conformity for exporting and importing animal products
The KEBS compliance procedures are designed to provide maximum flexibility to Exporters and Importers by providing three
(3) possible routes for obtaining a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) for their shipments. The method utilized will depend on the frequency of the Exporters shipments to Kenya and the level of compliance they are able to demonstrate initially when applying for certification

Request for Certification
The electronic Import Declaration Form (IDF) data which is made available to the KEBS Agent(s)by KEBS will be utilized by the PVoC Offices in the country of supply to contact the Exporters and provide them with a Request for Certification Form (RFC)

if the products exported by them are regulated . The Exporter must send the completed RFC form along with a copy of the IDF,Proforma Invoice and provide information about the date and place for inspection. In addition ,the exporter should include the test reports (if available) and where applicable copies of the Statements of Registration and/or Licence

All animal products (meat, milk, eggs, honey) should be packed in approved packages with containers bearing appropriate labelling accompanied by international sanitary certificate from the Competent Authority;

Animal products and by-products produced for export purposes pursuant to sub-Article 1 of this article should be handled and transported in approved hygienic condition.

All products and by-products derived from wild animals can be exported only after obtaining Export Permit and International Sanitary Certificate from Wild life Conservation Organization and from the Ministry, respectively.

Required Documents
1.mport/Export card issued by the General Authority for Import and Export equity control at the ministry of trade and industries.

2.Taxation card This card is obtained from Taxation authority or any of its offices in the country.

3.Three additional forms obtained from Import and export executive regulations issued by the minister of trade and industries.

4.The document which includes information on the type,quantity,price, and country of origin of the imported commodities.

5. Bill of lading.The Bill of Lading must contain the terms "Consignee" and Notify Part.

6.Original invoice.There is no prescribed format to the commercial invoice.

7. Packing lists

8.Certificate of origin.Should be issued in a minimum of three copies (additional copies may be requested by importer

Office Locations & Contacts

Kenya Revenue Authority
Tel: +254 (020) 4999 999

Cell: +254 (0711) 099 999



Kenya Ports Authority (KPA)
(041) 2112999/2112999

+254 (0) 412113999

P.O Box 95009-80104,

Mombasa, Kenya

The Kenya Veterinary Board.,
P.O. Box 513,


Kenya Veterinary Association
Head Office
Veterinary Labs, Kabete

P.O Box 29089-00625, Kangemi, Nairobi,Kenya


Any person aged 18 years and above and legally residing in the country can import or Export Animals or Animal products in to the country.
Any person who obtain any import/Export license or permission for importing/exporting Animal/Animal products in Kenya.
Any person who has the import interest and meets the above requirement and is importing/exporting Animal Products that does not fall in the restricted list.

valid for 1 year

Processing Time
Processing take 30 days

Familiarize yourself with the documentation and procedures required to successfully import/export Animal/Export products under the Fertilizers and Animal Foodstuff Act 345 into the country.

Familiarize yourself with the procedures pertinent to the kind of Animal products you are importing/Exporting into the country
Make sure you have a trade license and import/Export License before you import/export Animals/Animal products.
Prepare the necessary documents, mapping out different steps involved in the importation process.
A clearing agent can help you process all the necessary documentation

Required Information
Import/Export declaration
Content particulars of the Animal
Suppliers invoice
Documented evidence carriage of Animal products/ Animal
Customs value declaration
Compliance information
Good release order evidence

Need for the Document
Import and exports of animals and animal products represent an important and significant contribution to the Kenya economy but they can also bring with them the risk of animal diseases. Imports are therefore subject to strict controls at the Kenya border under the national rules.

International trade is often subject to complex government negotiations. DEPARTMENT FOR ENVIRONMENT, FOOD AND RURAL AFFAIRS, as the recognised Kenya lead department for international trade, facilitates Kenya exports of animals and animal products.

External Links


(» Reply topic) (» Go Up)
Viewing this topic:
1 guest(s) viewing this topic

Sections: Investment, HistoryKe, Romance, Politics, Food, Computers, Programing, Building/Architecture, Innovation, Technology Market, Celebrities, Photography, Music/Radio, Gaming, Forum Games, Somalia Forum, South Sudan Forum, Tanzania Forum, Ugandan Forum, Burundi Forum,

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Kenyans247 - Copyright © 2019 - 2020 Sande Kennedy. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise.
Disclaimer: Every Kenyans247 member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Kenyans247.