Popular & Trending •
Live Kenyan TV •
Live Kenyan Radio
Follow Us Like Us
Kakamega suspends admission of bodies to its mortuaries
80 people viewed
|Kakamega suspends admission of bodies to its mortuaries by Kenyans247(1): Tue 17, March, 2020 01:48pm|
Kakamega County Government has suspended admission of bodies to all its mortuaries amid the growing fears of coronavirus.
Governor Wycliffe Oparanya has called on families with bodies already in the mortuary to collect them with immediate effect.
Briefing the media at the Kakamega County General Hospital, Mr Oparanya announced a waiver on the standard charges on all bodies currently in the mortuary.
“We are not going to take any body to the public morgues but as a government, we shall support the bereaved communities to dispose of their dead ones with immediate effect,” said Mr Oparanya.
Kakamega County Medical Superintendent Victor Zimbulu said a total 65 bodies are lying at the Kakamega County General Hospital mortuary.
“57 of the bodies have been identified, three are unclaimed while five are under police case,” said Mr Zimbulu.
The county has set up a committee that is chaired by the governor to oversee the handling of Covid-19 cases. Other members include Woman Representative Elsie Muhanda, Health CEC Rachel Okumu, a representative from the office of the county commissioner and two doctors from the County General Hospital.
Governor Oparanya said Sh110 million had been set aside to handle cases of the virus. He said 232 doctors had been trained in rapid response.
“We are targeting sub-counties with higher foreign population especially where construction of roads is going on. They include Malava, Likuyani, Ikolomani and Lurambi. We have also temporarily identified a 5-bed isolation room as construction of the 20-bed capacity ward goes on,” Mr Oparanya added.
He said more isolation rooms were being constructed in all the sub-county hospitals as the county prepares to handle any eventuality of the Covid-19 disease.
The county government has further closed all Early Childhood Development Centres and polytechnics in line with Presidential Uhuru Kenyatta's decree to shut learning institutions following the beginning of the lockdown.
All open-air markets in the county have also been closed with immediate effect. Mr Oparanya directed all public transport vehicles to provide passengers with sanitisers to clean their hands before boarding the vehicles. He has also banned bodaboda groupings in the county for the next 30 days.
“We have further cancelled visiting of patients at all county health facilities, unless it is very necessary. We have no capacity to face the coronavirus that has entered into the country after three people were confirmed positive,” said the county boss.
Kakamega County had initially been identified among the 14 counties with high-risk spread of the coronavirus due to its high population of foreigners.
Mr Oparanya said several alerts have been raised in the county, signalling a possible outbreak of the virus.
“On January 18, 2020, we had a rumour of the outbreak of the virus at Bukhaywa market in Malava Sub-County. Our rapid response team rushed to the scene but found out that it was a rumour. We had a similar case at Serekeya in Likuyani on February 13 but they were all rumours,” said Mr Oparanya.
He said four Chinese nationals were quarantined for 14 days at Iguhu Sub-County Hospital in Ikolomani after arriving in the country on February 20. They were later confirmed to be out of danger.
Eleven students from Kakamega who had gone to pursue their studies in China arrived back home on March 3 and were subjected to screening at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport before they were allowed to travel back to their homes.
“On March 10, a foreign national from Egypt was admitted at the St Mary’s Hospital in Mumias West Sub-County with rumours that he had coronavirus. It was confirmed to be severe malaria but the case is being monitored closely,” he added.
“Although we have not confirmed any Covid-19 case in the county, we are committed to enforce precautionary measures to prevent and protect our people against the virus,” said Mr Oparanya.
Nightclubs have up to 11pm to operate following the order by the governor as disco matangas remain suspended for 30 days.
“The county enforcement teams will ensure that all measures to sustain the prevention are duly followed,” he said.
Dr Geoffrey Githinji, the doctor in charge of the infectious diseases at the hospital who is also leading the rapid response team in the county said they had acquired 20 protective gear for the health workers in the county.
“We have 20 gear available for health officials handling the Covid-19 cases but the process to acquire more is on course,” said Dr Githinji.
He said the county was setting up a screening area for people with respiratory infections to ensure they do not mingle with others before they are treated.
0 Shares 0 Like •
For you to post content on this website you have to log in or register, it only take few minute to create account
Recommended for youGuatemala Suspends All Deportation Flights From Us Over Covid-19 Kakamega Suspends Admission Of Bodies To Its Mortuaries Allan Wanga: Kakamega Homeboyz Star Retires From International Football Kakamega County Contacts
Sections: Counties, International Forum, Business, World List Directory, Romance, Technology Market, Computers, Phones, Education, Art, Graphics & Video, Music/Radio, TV/Movies, Jokes Etc, Celebrities, Social Media/K247 Chit-Chat, South Sudan Forum, Tanzania Forum, Ugandan Forum, Rwanda Forum, Somalia Forum,
Kenyans247 - Copyright © 2019 - 2020 Sande Kennedy. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise.
Disclaimer: Every Kenyans247 member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Kenyans247.